Friday, January 30, 2009

Pattern Swatches

In my portfolio prep class, we are doing a project that I am loving! One of the grad students here at USU has a ton of experience in product design, and so she was asked to teach a section of our class. Yesterday we went on a field trip to where she works right now, as a designer for s.e.i scrapbooking. We got to look at the trend/inspiration boards and the resulting line of scrapbooking paper that was designed, see their studio, and visit with their design team.

Also, I learned a new illustrator trick that I am loving called making pattern swatches.

I played around with it today for a little bit when I got antsy at work and I can't wait to go home and try it out even more!

Here is my quick, ten minute pattern. It, of course, needs a lot of perfecting but i am so stoked that it was so fast. Before, something like this would have taken forever and not matched up at all!




ps. JB and I got engaged yesterday. Just thought I should mention that, too. :)

5 comments:

  1. Engaged! Engaged? Wow. I never saw that one coming! ;) Congrats, Lons! And good job, JB! Now I have to go back and read the rest of your post about... what? Swatches?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LONI!! ENGAGED!! HOORAY!! I really love how that was a tiny little sidenote on the post about patterns. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see the ring! And your happy smiling face! I love your swatch - it'd be a cool wall sticker/decal design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU ARE ENGAGED!!! I'm so excited for you! Holy crap! Yea! Congrats!

    PS. I want to steal your little pattern paper stuff to digital scrapbook with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! Does JB know he takes second place to your swatches?
    I didn't know you were so into packaging. My daughter-in-law works for Temkin and does some neat stuff for them in their floral line. Check out her blog at http://willowwithy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete